downloads too fast, hogging whole modem line

that has been posted to comp.os.linux.networking as well.

My downloads are too fast, hogging the whole modem line.  Is there any
way to slow them down so I can read web pages at the same time?

In particular, assume the program has no brakes itself, and we must
some how nice(1) its portion of the bandwidth.

I posted 'any "nice" for ppp line competition? [Was: how do I slow down noffle?]'
in comp.protocols.ppp, news.software.readers but they told me to go
post elsewhere.

I can only read google for the last few minutes of a call now.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780