Re: Setting user passwords non-interactively

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Grimm" <elessar@noi.net>
To: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Setting user passwords non-interactively

> > i think chpasswd is what your looking for.
> > chpasswd user:pass
> >
> > on woody atleast its included in the passwd package
> >
> > > im wondering if there is any non-interactive way to set a user's
> > > password.......i need to do it through a script....please
>
> Actually, I use Perl script with a shell system call to 'usermod' or
> 'useradd' with the '-p' option, however you have to remember to crypt the
> password - crypt($passwd,$seed) - in the Perl script.

I used this in a perl script to set up a temp user on a system and set the
password for it:

    $groupadd="groupadd $tempuser";
    system("$groupadd\n");
    $syscall = "useradd -m -c \"$firstname $lastname,,,\($ac\)$phone\" -e
\"$datef\" -g $tempuser $tempuser";
    system("$syscall");
    $chngpasswd= "echo $tempuser\:$password|chpasswd";
    system("$chngpasswd\n");

works great....

Richard