How to control the php stand-alone process

Hello list,

I have some stand-alone php scripts in the cron job. I want to limit the
max execution time for single php process. In the php document:

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.set-time-limit.php

Note:  The set_time_limit() function and the configuration directive
max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself.
Any time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the
script such as system calls using system(), the sleep() function,
database queries, etc. is not included when determining the maximum
time that the script has been running.

Since the set_time_limit() and max_execution_time can't handle system
call used in the php scripts, how can I get the max time control for
each php script? If I can't, chances are some php scripts may keep in
the process for couple days, which is unwise.

--
Patrick Hsieh <pahud@pahud.net>
GPG public key http://pahud.net/pubkeys/pahudatpahud.gpg