Re: redundant office of redundancy

Hi, yes, debian-isp gets posts like this with some regularity.  I firmly
believe that no one is ever happy with the half-assed solutions they
come up with, and it's certainly not something you should have hosting
customers rely upon.  Mail isn't so difficult, but web traffic is a
different animal.

Basically you need a dynamic dns service for all your web sites, and you
also need to just switch to your "backup" IP address if your primary one
fails.  You'll have to worry about TTLs and such.  Or, have one DNS box
on each IP link, have each one have their own zone files, and use both
in your root server entries for all your domains.  That sounds sane,
because if a DNS query can't get to the server on DSL, the client will
query the one on cable, which will respond with a working IP.  Again you
need a really small TTL to make this function remotely.

Shops that want to do this "the right way" buy a couple of circuits from
service providers offering BGP, apply with ARIN for an ASN, and announce
their own space.  Sounds like that is well beyond your financial ability
since you are on DSL and looking at $50/mo for cable, though these days
it is probably within the technical grasp of many folks.

If anyone on this list has done this and is satisfied with their
solution I would like to hear about your experiences, however, I think
you will find that the general opinion is you need to colocate with some
bigger shop, or be satisfied with what you have, or resell.