configureing courier imap

Hi,
I'm running potato with the unstable packages.  I've been using exim and cucipop for some time now.  I wanted to get squirrelmail working so I installed that and courier imap.  I think I'm missing some sort of imap configuration step.  I scan my box and port 143 is open and courier seems to be running but I can't check my mail with squirrel mail.  I also set up an imap mail client to check my mail on my server and it didn't work  What do I need to do to get courier to work with exim?

thanks!!
bernie
www.bernieberg.com