Re: RAID Suggestion for webserver

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Jason Lim wrote:

> With RAID5 and 4 disks... the RAID5 would not survive more than 1 disk
> failing... that sort of gives me the heebie jeebies.
> Thats why I thought RAID5 with 3 disks and 1 spare or RAID10.

again, it really depends on your monetary capabilities, and how much
storage you want in the end of everything.  Raid5 + backup is a relatively
safe bet, 'cus the likelyhood of more than one disk going out at the same
time is pretty low.

with Raid10, and 4 40 gig disks, you end up with 80GB and an increase in
disk i/o - which, depending on how you're serving files off of these
disks may not really be a benefit (NFS for example), RAID5 gives you 120
GB, and assuming your location is relatively well montitored (remotely, or
locally), you're gonna be ok barring anything catasrophic.

Let us know what you go with, as I'm pondering the benefits of all this
myself...

-lev