Re: Problems building FreeSWAN kernel package.

On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 04:36:38PM -0500, cfm@maine.com wrote:

> You don't really say what you did.  Did you run make menuconfig or equiv?
> Missing autoconf is probably not freeswan related unless the patcher got
> mangled.

 Well, the documentation in the README.Debian (for kernel-patch-freeswan)
 states:

<-snip->

If you want to use the freeswan utilities, you will need a patched kernel.
When you install the kernel-patch-freeswan package and use make-kpkg to build
your kernel, it should be patched automatically when you set the environment
variable PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES
Usually you can then create a kernel package with
make-kpkg --config=menuconfig --revision=<revision number> kernel_image
The "--config=menuconfig" parameter forces make-kpkg to call "make menuconfig"
after patching the kernel source, so that you have the possibility to
configure compile-time options for freeswan.

<-snip->

 So I assumed menuconfig would pop up, (which it never did).

> make-kpkg built freeswan flawlessly on several i86 machines here in
> past couple of weeks.  All running current unstable.  Maybe a month
> ago I did have to tweak it but recent freeswan package fixed that.

 Well, below I describe my failed attempt at trying to apply the
 kernel-patch-freeswan manually. Maybe you can provide some suggestions
 to either the above, or below attempts.

> > The documentation (README.Debian) is pretty sparse, and I don't know where
> > else to go to get info on doing this. Any comments or suggestions greatly
> > appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Try applying patches by hand to see what happens.  Then just build kernel
> as usual.

 Ok, this is how the documentation describes applying the patch manually.

<-snip->

If you really want to compile your kernel without the help of kernel-package,
you can patch it by going to your kernel source tree directory and entering
'make -C /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan -f Makefile insert
        KERNELSRC=<path of your kernel source>
        PATCHER=/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan/patcher'

<-snip->

gateway:/usr/src/linux# make -C /usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan/ -f Makefile insert KERNELSRV=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.17 PATCHER=/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan/patcher
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan'
echo "==============="
===============
echo "`date` `cd /usr/src/linux ; pwd`"
Wed Feb  6 06:56:52 PST 2002 /usr/src/linux
make _patches2.3 BINDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec PUBDIR=/usr/local/sbin PRIVDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec REALPRIVDIR=/usr/local/lib/ipsec MANTREE=/usr/local/man DESTDIR= INSTALL="install"
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan'
* applying klips/patches2.2/Documentation.Configure.help to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help...
patching file ./Documentation/Configure.help
Hunk #1 FAILED at 3530.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file ./Documentation/Configure.help.rej
* /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help patch failed, restoring original
/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan/patcher: patch on /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help failed!
/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan/patcher: restoring original /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help,
/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan/patcher: leaving patch attempt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help.mangled
make[1]: *** [_patches2.3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan'
make: *** [patches] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/freeswan'
gateway:/usr/src/linux#

That's as far as I get. Any suggestions? I really want to avoid building
a stock kernel because I am trying to do this the "debian way" and
get a debian kernel package out of it. (which I can use on other systems,
or at least learn what I need to do to make custom ones for other
architectures).

--
  Nick Jennings