Re: recheck for new partition without reboot?

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 02:02:31PM +0100, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 06:09:15PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > I added a new partition (/dev/sda8). (Other partitions were already in
> > use.)
> >
> > Is there any tool or kernel module to recognize this device without
> > rebooting?
>
> I guess cfdisk calls some ioctls to force kernel to reread the new
> partition table after writing it...

It does; however IIRC the ioctl call results in a successful reread of
the partition table only if none of the other partitions on that drive
are currently mounted.

Since the OP says other partitions were in use, I assume he means they
were mounted.  I'm afraid in this case a reboot is called for, though
I'd love to hear otherwise.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.