Re: OT = just a quicky

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 03:22:51PM +0800, Jason Lim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wanted to know... how do I make a file with all 1s or 0s or something
> with a certain size (eg. 100Mb)?
>
> I was thinking 'dd something' but there is probably a better way?

  dd if=/dev/zero of=bigfile bs=1024k count=100

will create a file of all zeros.  This isn't terribly useful :)

  dd if=/dev/random of=bigfile bs=1024k count=100

will create a big file filled with random data, but it takes a long
time.  (Maybe it's /dev/urandom?  Been a while since I did that for
bandwidth testing).

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.