RE: sendmail SMTP_AUTH

 Hello David.

> > I'm trying to use the SASL authentification method with
> > sendmail, in order
> > to have an AUTH SMTP service.
> >
> > Debian GNU/Linux (sid)
> > 	sendmail 8.12.1-5
> >
> > After following some installation steps, I get
> >
> > # telnet localhost 25
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 maki.ene.es ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.1/8.12.1/Debian -5; Thu,
> > 12:45:49 +0100; (No UCE/UBE) logging access from:
> > localhost.ene.es(OK)-root@localhost.ene.es [127.0.0.1]
> > EHLO localhost
> > 250-maki.ene.es Hello root@localhost.ene.es [127.0.0.1],
> > pleased to meet you
> > 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> > 250-PIPELINING
> > 250-EXPN
> > 250-VERB
> > 250-8BITMIME
> > 250-SIZE
> > 250-DSN
> > 250-ETRN
> > 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN

 Why this if your .mc options you don't provide DIGEST-MD5 and
 CRAMD-MD5
 authentication ?

> > 250-DELIVERBY
> > 250 HELP
> > MAIL FROM: david.leal@other.host.ene.es
> > 250 2.1.0 david.leal@other.host.ene.es... Sender ok
> > RCPT TO: davileal@outside.es
> > 250 2.1.5 davileal@outside.es... Recipient ok
> > DATA
> > 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
> > .
> > 250 2.0.0 g0HBjnUS001785 Message accepted for delivery
> > QUIT
> > 221 2.0.0 maki.ene.es closing connection
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> >

> > As you can see I'm able to send mails without any authorization.
> >
> > How could I force Sendmail to use the AUTH command?

 For debugging I recommend you to put on hand LogLevel=30 in
 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
 Thus, you could see when SASL begins to act and if it doesn't.

 I think If you has old-access style file and you are Cwene.es and ...
 aghhh! ... other.host.ene.es exist on your DNS you are relayed because
 you are local.

 Finally, there are many options now for access file which
 authentication
 plays. SEE also
 "In 8.12 the MSP doesn't work well for SMTP AUTH when used
 with sendmail
 -bs because it usually doesn't have access to the authentication
 database. Possible solutions are: don't use sendmail -bs but talk
 directly to the MTA, or if you really need this feature, make sasldb
 group readable for smmsp (if you use it) and set the appropriate
 DontBlameSendmail option GroupReadableSASLDBFile."

 and http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/sm-812.html notes.

 Taluego torpedo.

 P.D.what is /etc/mail/sendmail.conf for ?