Re: xinetd /etc/host.deny ALL:PARANOID

also sprach Chris Wagner <wagnerc@plebeian.com> [2002.01.11.0541 +0100]:
> This is sort of the function of canonical names.  "Other" names for the IP
> besides the absolute name (or Loopback name in our parlance).  But CNAME's
> are deprecated for other reasons.  I personally never had any problems using
> them.

me neither. deprecated? i know that most mailers will complain if the MX
is a CNAME, so i always have mail.madduck.net have it's own A record,
even though the actual hostname also maps to that A record...

> >All the people who say "but I don't control the reverse for my IP(s)"
> >don't understand the issue ... it's up to the registered contact for
> >the block to make sure reverse resolution works.  Of course that means
> >resolving to A records that the contact also controls.  This is all
> >spelled out in the RFCs and best practice documents.
>
> It has been possible for some time now to allocate really really small IP
> blocks.  I had a /27 allocated to me in ARIN once.  I controlled my own
> reverse lookups that way.  I don't know how small they will go though.

/29, although i've seen /30's. problem is that with that much of a
subnet, you are wasting a lot of IPs. the efficiency in terms of IP
usage for /30 is 50%!!!

"a rock pile ceases to be a rock pile
 the moment a single man contemplates it,
 bearing within him the image of a cathedral."
                                           -- antoine de saint-exupery