Re: Best way to duplicate HDs

> On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 08:39:39AM -0500, Keith Elder wrote:
> > This brings up a  question. How do you rsync something but keep the
> > ownership and permissions the same.  I am pulling data off site nightly
> > and that works, but the permissions are all screwed up.
>
> rsync -avxrP --delete $FILESYSTEMS backup-server:backups/$HOSTNAME
>
> Some caveats if you want to fully automate this...
>   - remove -vP (verbose w/ progress)
>   - --delete is NECESSARY to make sure deleted files get deleted from the
>     backup
>   - FILESYSTEMS should be any local filesystems you want backed up (-x
>     won't cross filesystems, makes backing up in NFS environment easier)
>   - obviously this doesn't preclude a bad guy checking out
>     backup-server:backups/otherhostname (use ssh keys, and invoke cmd="cd
>     backups/hostname; rsync with whatever daemon options" will limit that)
Hello Ted,
Now I know how to use "command=" in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2.
Providing I have backupserver and debianclient.
In ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 of backupserver "command=" section, what
command should I put to automate the backup procedure between
backupserver and debianclient? I tried:
command="cd /backup; /usr/bin/rsync -av debianclient:/dirtobackup ./"

But when I ssh from debianclient to backupserver, it gives me a password
prompt,, so I enter the password, then rsync begins.

I don't understand what "command=" means.  Does it only specify what
will the server do upon ssh login? Can it specify some commands and
parameters to restrict ssh <host> <pre-specified command> ?