Re: mini ISP

On Thu, Nov 22, 2001 at 09:50:44AM +1100, Iain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running a mini ISP with what I could only describe as a pretty
> 'unique' setup:
>
> It is all running of a Debian 2.2 box.
>
> It has 5 Stallion 8 port serial cards providing 40 PPP dialin lines. (I had
> to patch the kernel to add support for more than 4 boards)
>
> I am running Squid with transparent proxy on the same box.
>
> It is also running ipchains firewall / masquerading.
>
> The hardware specs are as follows:
>
> Intel Pentium III - 933 mhz
> Inbuilt sym53c896-1 SCSI controller.
> Inbuilt eepro100 ethernet controller
> 512 MB Ram
>
> I am a little concerned that I may be overdoing things. In particular I am
> worried that I/O might not be keeping up. Some users have complained about
> slow download speeds and timeouts.

Of course they do.  When we started as ISP years back a local BBS operator
shared a secret with me:
"I didn't change a thing on my machine" and "It always works on (the other system)"

Microsoft continued that with all their "Server OTL" messages.

More likely it's honking graphics, broken user boxes, filled c:\WINDOWS directories
and the like.  Diagnose the problem; do NOT believe the users wihout verification.

> Does this sound like a ridiculous way to run dialup? Is there any way I can
> diagnose I/O usage, etc.

On the face of it, running a dialup is ridiculous so I'll assume you have
your reasons.  With 40 dialups you should look at separate terminal servers;
that's what they are for.  Hell, last time we rebooted ours was 2000-01-01 just
to be on the safe side.