Re: bind: changing many serials at once

"Marek L. Kozak" wrote:

> I need to change serials in multiple zone files. All zones will have the
> same new serial.
> I don't want to do it manualy. Simple sed 's/regexp/new_pattern/g' is
> not an option - serials differ. I could write a C program, but I think
> there's some other way.

If you want to use a tool to generate your zone files, try dnstool.
Info is available at

http://www.gormand.com.au/tools/dnstool/guide.html

It consists of perl scripts working on a directory structure. A central
makefile allows you to regenerate zone files and so to change their
serial.
Then copy just the zonefiles you are interested into your dns area.
That's my way to do it. YMMV.

I find this tool particularly useful for lots of virtual servers as you
can link domain definitions to prototype files saving a lot of typing.

Dirk Niemeyer