Re: converting ext2 to softraid 1 or 5

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 02:17:46PM +0200, Kai Koehler wrote:
> hello
>
> we want to install an software raid system on an existing debian server
> the server contains his data on one partition/hd
>
> whats the easiest way to initialize an software raid 1 or 5 and convert the
> existing data with the lowest downtime
Put the RAID disks in the server, configure software RAID with these
disks, copy your data (dump/restore, tar, cp, whatever), then remove the
old disk.
You could, if you want to use the original disk in your array, temporary
insert an extra disk, mkraid, copy data, and remove the disk and raidhotadd
the original disk.

For more info look at the Software-RAID-HOWTO.