Process re-owning

I've being trying to find out if it is possible to re-own a process after starting it in the background (using &) while in one terminal, then trying to re-own it in a new terminal after the previous terminal had closed. I'd like to re-run the process in the foreground, however it doesn't show up in the 'jobs' listing. If I run 'ps aux' the process I'd like to run in the foreground shows up with a '?' under TTY.
Is there anyway to set the TTY of the '?' process to the port of my terminal?
Or any way to run this '?' process in the foreground?
Any help or info whether this is possible would be appreciated as i cant see anything in the bash man or ps man

Thanks
Andrew