Re: current cpu usage

In the depths of that dark day Thu Sep 06, the words of Robert Waldner were the beacon:

> On Thu, 06 Sep 2001 09:34:05 EDT, Peter Billson writes:
> >> cat /proc/meminfo
> >> cat /proc/loadavg
> >
> > The meminfo would help him but he posted that he didn't understand load
> >average and, anyway, needs percent of CPU used. You can not calculate
> >CPU usage from load average.
>
> Not to mention the deep dark magic by which loadavg is generated. I
>  still don´t understand that completely ;-)

I thought that the kernel just counted the number of process ready to
run at a certain interval (I don't know what the interval is but I've
always assumed that its every second or couple of seconds) and then
just averaged those values over 1 min, 5 min and 15 min.  Is there
more to it than that?