Re: SOS Bind

> > I have a debian box running Bind, acting as a primary DNS server. I
> > have update the serial numbers on the zone files but nothing is
> > propagating out. Its been about 72 hours now and still has the old
> > IP of the server. Bind version 8.2.3

> Did you make sure that your primary DNS server is listed as authorative
> name server in the whois information for the domains you are serving?

This does not matter. The name server where you do the configurations (the
"primary" or "master") does not need to be listed in the whois
information. (In fact, it doesn't even have to be allowed to give
information to the world -- just to its own secondaries.)

The Bind configuration for the slave (or "secondary") can be configured to
know where to get the info. "The masters list specifies one or more IP
addresses that the slave contacts to update its copy of the zone."

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net/