Re: FTP thro' firewall

The WS FTP thingy you're refering to is for going through proxies.  Some
folks just don't know the difference between firewalls and proxies. :)  To
do this just set up port forwarding on the firewall.  Use ipchains or
something and only allow ftp connections from your known boxes to pass
through.  Allow nothing from the jungle side.  You should then be able to
transparently connect to the outside world.

At 12:58 PM 8/28/01 +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
>Given a small local network, with nodes using a variety of OSes (Winx;
>SuSE; Debian), and a firewall using Mandrake SNF, how does one FTP thro'
>the firewall (safely) from one of the Debian (kernel 2.2.19) nodes?
>
>Or is this a complete no-no?
>
>Apparently the Win version of WS FTP has some sort of arrangement to
>allow this -- I can't seem to find any documentation to allow it under
>Debian 2.2r3+testing.
>
>Any help appreciated.
>--
>Martin Wheeler       -        StarTEXT - Glastonbury - BA6 9PH - England
>mwheeler@startext.co.uk                       http://www.startext.co.uk/
>
> www.gateway.gov.uk  --  the UK government's £18M Microsoft-only website
>         -- "all your government database are belong to us" --

Nice sig. :)  Er, I mean Zig.

                    ---=<ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US>=---
            ___/`<YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME!>`\___

00000100