Re: help with site+database

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:52:14PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > Expecially if you have a dinamic PHP site, for me, MySQL and PHP, is the
> > better  and faster solution.
>
> actually, it's not. mysql is faster (these days, only marginally faster)
> than postgres for extremely simple queries, but not for complex queries.
> postgres blows mysql out of the water on anything more complex than a
> single select of a bunch of fields from a single table by a single user.

I had to set up a server for a company who insisted on using MySQL and
PHP and it hasn't caused any problems for them.  I believe the load was
high at times but I'm not sure how many queries they got per a second.
Chances are that they were using mostly the one database user and they
could have been using simple queries.

> PHP is OK, but i wouldn't use mysql for anything. i really don't
> understand how anyone could trust their data to a toy.

I've never used MySQL for a serious use by choice, but when I have used
it with no choice it hasn't caused any problems.  I think you are
forgetting something though... some people would trust their data to a
cow if they could get it in there somehow!  Well at least they trust it
to that un-nameable redmond based software company known as the evil
empire!

> there's an excellent article comparing the relative performance of
> postgresql and mysql (with the same php based application) at
>
> http://www.phpbuilder.net/columns/tim20001112.php3
>
> apart from that, do a search on google for "postgres mysql comparison"
> or "postgres and php".

I've found varying reviews to be mixed.  Just by searching for "postgres
mysql comparison" like you said I found this:
http://phd.pp.ru/Software/SQL/PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL.html

I do have a serious use for a database soon so I'll be sure to test both
database packages out myself.  Replication will be important though and
last time I checked mysql didn't have any which is pretty useless (but I
think they might have been implementing it).

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia