From: Russell Coker [mailto:russell@coker.com.au]
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 10:35 PM
To: Cho Yoonbae; debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Hard disk lock down.

On Sunday 17 June 2001 10:41, Cho Yoonbae wrote:
> I am operating an server with P3 850*1, 512MB, 90GB storage. (two
> 45GB)

> blue:~# df -H > Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on > /dev/hda1             2.0G  233M  1.6G  13% / > /dev/hda3              32G  2.6G   27G   9% /var > /dev/hda4              10G  646M  9.1G   7% /premium > /dev/hdb2              43G  9.2G   32G  23% /home >  > sometimes when my user commands "mv" or "chmod" in telnet or ftp, > directory are locked down. (under /home) > so any user(even root!) enter that directory and command in that
> directory
 until reboot the system.
>  > another important thing is that while system is in that situation, > system's load is higher and higher. even 37 in result of  "uptime".
Uptime is the sum of two numbers.  One number is the average number of
processes in "D" state, the other is the average number of programs that
are ready to do CPU operations.

"D" state processes are processes that are blocked on disk IO.  It sounds
like there is a device driver error in your system related to disk IO
that causes processes to get blocked, and that in this instance 37
programs have become blocked on disk IO.

I suggest that you run the command "dmesg" and/or check /var/log/kern.log
for information on what went wrong.

Also please note that we can't help you solve such problems without
information on what kernel version you run.