Re: off site assistance

On Thursday 01 January 1970 01:00, Allen Ahoffman wrote:
> I am blind and work in a small data center.
> Since I can't read screens I need to get sighted people to read for me.
> I know what I'm doing on the systems but need readers to tell me whats
> happening.
> I'm looking for suggested hardware to allow me to easily in realtime
> send the screen images from the console screen to a remote user so they
> can read it for me or just tell me the keystrokes to do.
>
> I need at least 640.b480 but would like 1024x768 resolution and 30fps.
> 4 or 5 fps would do really for this application.
> remember this has to be usable for only one screen but that screen gets
> connected to many systems during its lifetime.

Have you considered a braille terminal?  I used to work with a blind
colleague who had a braille terminal on his AIX machines.  He worked
independantly as an AIX administrator and was able to read the braille
surprisingly quickly (faster than some sighted people can read printed
text).

I was looking at a Linux braille interface in the hopes of getting my
colleague to use Linux instead, but then my contract ended and I didn't
get back to it.

It seems that there is no suitable Braille code in Linux at the moment
unfortunately.  Is someone interested in maintaining it?