server configuration strategies

While this isn't exactly on the topic of _debian_ ISPs, it is related
to ISPs running Linux in general.

I'm running a very small ISP.  I mainly only host domains for clients
I consult for; no dial-up. I add machines to my "server-farm" as I
can.  I usually buy pre-owned equipment to save on costs (since all of
my capital comes out of my profit).  For instance, I have an old Sun
SparcServer 20, Apple PowerMac 9300, and a K6-III/450 (they all run
debian).  None of these machines are speed demons; but, they get the
job done.  As I get more load, I'm thinking more and more about the
upgrade path.

Are there any strategy guides that talk about how/when to split up
services on differnet servers?  Are different platforms better at
different tasks (like network I/O, disk I/O, cpu)?  For instance,
when do you decide that your database should be moved off your web
server?  When should mail be split out?  How do you know how much
cpu/RAM you need to handle all your mail traffic?  How do you know how
many hits/hour a particular apache box can serve?

My guess is that this is all a matter of personal tastes/experiences.
In my case, you get a box and put stuff on it.  If it's loaded (using
top or something) you try and move stuff off of it.
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn (mailto:doug@lathi.net http://www.lathi.net)
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543