Re: An LDAP authentication howto for Debian?

On Tuesday 22 May 2001 11:58, Fredrik Steen wrote:
> Hi I'm trying to get a 12-node cluster to use LDAP as authentication.
> But I have ran into trouble. Importing of the users worked fine now
> I'm trying to import the groups using the migration tools from
> padl.com. Here is what I get.
>
> $ ldapadd -v -x -D "cn=admin,dc=carambole,dc=com" -W -f group.ldif
> ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
> Enter LDAP Password:
> add objectClass:
>         posixGroup
>         top
> add cn:
>         root
> add userPassword:
>         {crypt}x
> add gidNumber:
>         0
> adding new entry "cn=root,ou=Group,dc=carambole,dc=com"
> ldap_add: No such object
>         matched DN: "dc=carambole, dc=com"

I just tried it using the data you supplied and it worked fine for me.

Are you sure that the entry "ou=Group,dc=carambole,dc=com" exists and is OK?

Currently I suspect that I may have found a bug in OpenLDAP 2.0.7 (the
version in Debian) because I found it to start doing some strange things when
I was doing modrdn operations which resulted in some of my data becoming
invisible to the ldap browser (but slapcat could still find it).  I had to
run a slapcat then remove the database files and recreate them with slapadd
to get it going again!

When I get some time I'll play with it some more and try to track it down.
If all else fails I suggest a slapcat/slapadd just in case...