Re: Kernels 2.4.x for ISP ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Przemyslaw Wegrzyn" <czajnik@tower.t16.ds.pwr.wroc.pl>
To: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 1:01 PM
Subject: Kernels 2.4.x for ISP ?

> I'm just setting up new box - large mail server,
> dual Pentium, STL2 motherboard, Mylex AccleRAID.
>
> I'd like to try with kernel 2.4.x + ResierFS, but I worry a little about
> it's maturity. Is it really stable now ?
>
> Can anyone here write about his/her experiences with 2.4.x ?
>
> Does 2.4.x kernels support AcceleRAID 352 well ?
>

> Greetings
> -=Czaj-nik=-

I use kernel 2.4.0 with ext2 (mail, http, dns server) for several month
without any problems.
Kernel 2.4.0 is seemd to be stable in such environment. On debian-user list
some people
confirmed this fact. Looking throug changslogs after 2.4.0 release shows
that 2.4.x can be
very stable or very unstable depending what you want.
Some people on debian-user list had trouble with ReiserFs but I don't
remember
what was the kernel version. There some doubts if 2.4.0+ReiserFs can work
on production server.
Another problem may be with ENC bit. Till now I'm not sure if some problems
of
transmission to/from server are definitively solved.
And third problem may be with dependencies of packets. Kernel suggests use
2.4.x
of modutils, modutils depends on libc6 2.2.x and newer libc6 depends on
libdb2 2.7.7
or similar.
But when I listalled libdb2 taken form woody lastly, syslogd didn't start.
Yesterday I send
question to debian-user list  with this problem but I've no answer as yet.
It may be
nessesary to use 2.4.x kernel without modules.

Let's summarize: As someone already told: If you have doubts means you
shoudn't.

Regards
Chris