Re: lpd with libwrap (or tcp wrappers)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
>  > Does anyone know of the a lpd debian package (or the correct Debian
>  > way) to use lpd with tcp_wrappers support (hosts_option(s5))?
>
> you can just simply tell tcpd to run it, sg like
>
> lpd stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/lpd args
>
> tweak as needed.

But is this the Debian way? What will happen when I upgrade lpr package?

So I tweaked as needed (by changing service-name to printer and added
"-l" lpd logging switch).

Then I stopped lpd, added lpd to my /etc/hosts.allow, disabled it from
starting in /etc/init.d/lpd and restarted inetd.

My remote lpq says "waiting for pilchuck to come up".

The server lpr.log says a few times:

 Feb 15 15:36:50 pilchuck lpd[9780]: bind: Address already in use
 Feb 15 15:36:50 pilchuck lpd[9780]: exiting

So it looks like inetd is spawning lpd; the new lpd is trying to bind but
inetd already did.

Any other ideas?

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.isp-faq.com/    -- find answers to your questions