Re: Problems with Duron Procesor

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 05:37:31PM -0600, Jorge.Lehner@gmx.net wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We bought a Clone with a 950k, AMD-Duron Processor, Motherboard by
> Biostar to build an Intranet Server out of it.
>
> When installing a new Kernel (2.4.7), compiled for this processortype
> the machine stopped to work, because of severe Memory fault problems,
> reducing the access "speed" from 133 Mhz to 100 Mhz reduces the
> problem significatively
You might try running a newer (i.e. 2.4.16) kernel.

> Using a plain Pentium kernel we got no memory faults anymore.
>
> Is this a Motherboard/Memory problem, or is there any known problem
> with the AMD-Duron optimization?
For me it works fine with the woody gcc and kernel 2.4.9-2.4.16, with
proctype Duron.

I think you've flaky memory or a broken mainboard, running memtest86
(apt-get install hwtools, dd if=/usr/lib/hwtools/memtest86.bin
of=/dev/fd0 IIRC) might help.

HTH,
Alson