Re: Pop or Imap?

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:13, Tim Uckun wrote:
> I am concerned about pop passwords being transmitted plaintext. Does imap
> encrypt passwords? if not does any protocol exists which does.

Both POP and IMAP have extensions to allow minimal security for the password
(but still allow plain-text transfer of the messages).

Also both POP and IMAP have TLS extensions that allow a client to request SSL
mode after connecting, and there are separate ports defined for POP and IMAP
servers that only do SSL.

The courier-pop-ssl and courier-imap-ssl packages do this well.