Re: replicating, balanced web-server with *write* access?

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 06:14:23PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> 1)  Use rsync to transfer files, and for writes have some sort of database
> push (EG use ssh to run a program on the primary server which does the
> update).  Then of course the data you read won't be as new as the data you've
> written.
Now I'll probably make one sleeping-failover server which rsyncs every
five minutes and only comes to play if the main server goes down.

> When designing for high availability I aim for minimum loss of service (not
> necessarily minimum downtime).  So if something goes wrong and 10% of the
> functionality isn't available for a few hours it's often not such a big deal.
But you often have problems like crashing systems when the tape is in use
or the load gets too high. Then you want to examine the whole physical
computer so a real downtime is needed. On the other hand you won't let
anybody realize this so a immediate sync would be coll. But as you said
that's impossible for now...

bye,

-christian-