Re: Traffic shaping

> Hi again fellas
> Has anyone successfully implemented bandwidth shaping using
> debian ? If so what packages / kernel was used and how easy
> was it ?

We are using the shaper module (shaper.o) from the 2.2 kernel with the
debian shaper package for quite a while now and we are satisfied.
We only perform simple shaping, the outgoing(!) traffic from one or more
network adapters is limited.

It's staightforward in its use:

For an adapter (eth1, 64Kbit):

shapecfg attach shaper0 eth1
shapecfg speed shaper0 64000
ifconfig shaper0 myhost netmask broadcast up
route add -net some.network netmask a.b.c.d dev shaper0

Hope this helps,

Bob van der Kamp
Kern Automatiseringsdiensten