Re: tape drives

Thank you, I figured out what the problem was.  I have three scsi controllers
in the machine, and had only loaded the driver for the first two.  It is now
recognizing the drive just fine.

As for the second part of my question, any recommendations on *what* my
"choice of backup software" should be?  Amanda just seems like overkill for a
single computer, and tar is a little, um, primitive :-)  Should I just shut
the hell up and learn the intricacies of tar, or is there a better/more
intuitive interface for backing up?

Thanks for the the help so far....

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 03:48 pm, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:
> You probably want to use the SCSI Tape driver for that.  As I understand,
> pretty much all SCSI tape drives have a similar set of commands and
> features.  Your Compaq EOD003 probably operates similarly to my HP 88980,
> which is an ancient 9-track drive :-)
>
> The mt(1) program can be used to position the tape, erase tapes, etc.  The
> st driver will allow the st library to work with programs like mt or your
> choice of backup software.
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root        33992 Jun  2 19:15
> /lib/modules/2.4.5/kernel/drivers/scsi/st.o
>
> - jsw

- --
D.A.Bishop