Re: maximum number of virtual sites

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Andrew Kaplan wrote:

> I'm running Apache 1.3.9, currently the box has 183 websites on one IP. I'm
> planning to add another 200. Is there any limit to the number of virtual
> websites that can run from a single IP address.

Well, the outside limits will be defined by the speed of the disk and
processor/ram available to the machine. The number of open files available
to the machine should be tuned on very large vhosts, but in normal
practice this is almost never a problem. Logging becomes a limiter as the
number of hosts and trafic grows -- it is a good idea to either move
logging onto a dedicated disk channel or off the server altogether, in
which case you would want multiple ethernet ports.

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

"You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination
is out of focus."			-- Mark Twain