Virtual web hosting best practice?

Hi,

I'm looking at starting to do some commercial virtual web hosting on a Linux box
I have that was previously just used for tinkering.

I'm just wondering what methods different people are using to provision multiple
websites under Apache?

I'm after a method that's scaleable, as neat as possible, and most of all as
secure as possible.

e.g.

Where do people shove their content roots?
How do you securely allow individual sites to have CGI access?
Directory structures, permission structures, account structures etc etc

Andrew