Re: How to set system-wide PATH

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:55:27PM -0400, Joe Hu wrote:
> Does anybody know how to set default sytem-wide PATH? After installing
> Apache, I'd like to add /usr/local/apache/bin to the system path. I don't
> want to do it in the .bash_profile, because that only works after a shell
> session is started.

Other people have answered how to set the $PATH for all user shells. I'm
curious as to why you're concerned about what $PATH is outside user
shell sessions.

The real default PATH is set by init. However, I wouldn't advise messing
around with that. If this is for an Apache init script, then just edit
it to add the appropriate directory.

Cheers,