Re: mta confusion

On Thursday 18 October 2001 08:05 am, Richard A Nelson wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, David Bishop wrote:
> > Currently:
> > Using sendmail with webmin and the webmin control module
> > Using webmail based off of the webmin control module for sendmail
> > Each user has a real account on the box for uploading files/whatnot
> > Normal spam-free setup (non-promisc according to mail-abuse.org)
> > Forwards for local ip addresses, non-authenticating
> >
> > Needs:
> > Be able to differentiate between foo@bar.com and foo@fobb.net
> > Not have to keep a seperate email database from the system /etc/passwd.
> > Still have an integrated webmail client that doesn't use imap, just
> > direct manipulation of the mbox file.
> > Have a webmin module so the owner can "manage" the mta.
>
> I've no experience with webmin (kinda low on my TODO list), but I can't
> see how you can do this with any MTA without having some kind of
> domain->user mapping.

Well, looking back I didn't explain myself well.  I was thinking something
along the lines of the alias file mapping sales@foo.com -> realuser@foo.com
and sales@bar.com -> realuser@bar.com, all hosted on the same box.  Does that
make more sense?  I don't necessarily need to seperate realuser@foo from
mrealuser@bar.

> In sendmail, you'll need to look at virtusertable and genericstable to
> handle inbound and outound rewriting (or you can get less function at
> the advantage of one database by using userdb).

I'm off to read these.

> > Oh, and having it *not* be sendmail that does all that would be a
> > blessing
> >
> > :-)
>
> Whatever, if you stick with sendmail, I'll be happy to help - and in
> this case, going to at least testing buys you *ALOT* with sendmail -
> better SPAM protection, better performance, etc.

Better spam protection is always good, performance less so (it's fairly low
traffic).

> >  As always, any help is appreciated, along with RTFM's (if the proper FM
> > is pointed out).
>
> For sendmail, install sendmail-doc and peruse
> /usr/share/doc/sendmail/cf.README.gz sections for virtusertable and
> genericstable...  If you're still having problems, see me, this group,
> or comp.mail.sendmail for assistance.

Thank you.  I will do so.

- --
D.A.Bishop