Re: duplicate network filesystems (was: HA mailserver (smtp, pop3, imap,imap/ssl))

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 08:24:10PM +0200, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 08:31:01AM -0400, Peter Billson wrote:
> > > Then if one fileserver was down (even temporarily), then all the other
> > > fileservers (all four) would have to queue a message about the data and
> > > task and some heartbeat between fileservers could alert it when back up
> > > and then make sure that the particular filesystem is properly updated.
> > >
> > > What do you all think about this?
> >
> > Sounds exactly like RAID except that the disks are in physically
> > different machines. I wonder if you can set up software RAID to use NFS
> > mounted drives... hmmmm... may be worth playing with.
>
> No solution, just a direction:
>
> The Enhanced Network Block Device Linux Kernel Module
> "It makes a remote disk on a different machine act as though it were a
> local disk on your machine. It looks like a block device on the local
> machine where it's typically going to appear as /dev/nda."
> "The intended use is for RAID over the net"
> http://www.it.uc3m.es/~ptb/nbd/
>
> from the Software-RAID-Howto:
> "Linux RAID can work on most block devices. It doesn't matter whether
> you use IDE or SCSI devices, or a mixture. Some people
> have also used the Network Block Device (NBD) with more or less success."

There is a thread on debian-isp "RAID over NBD" 10. AUG 2001 where this
is discussed in short.
Hirling Endre reports success with drbd.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/drbd

florian

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------