Re: iptables and routing

Robert Davidson wrote:
> Peter Billson wrote:
> >
> > Take a look at using iproute2.
> > http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/howto/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html#s4
>
> Read that many times in the past, hasn't helped.  I'll go back to
> square one and see if I can get the thing to work how I want it to,
> but I don't think I'll have any success.  I've done policy routing
> before (and am still using it) but I've never managed to get packets
> that are generated on the same machine as is holding the uplinks to
> route the packets where I want them to go.

I've got something similar working just fine.

What you need to do is, roughly:

  o  in the OUTPUT table, mark the packets you want to go through your
     secure connection with some value. E.g. match on source port 80
     and owner nobody;

  o  make sure that packets marked with that value are processed in a
     seperate routing table, using 'ip rule', and setup that routing
     table according to your demands

In my case the idea is that I have two uplinks and I want some
applications to use the first uplink, and use the second by default.

regards,
Remco.