Kernel 2.4.8 + Portmasters

I have had a weird thing happen to me with the new kernel.
I set up a server with the new kernel and have found it will not telnet into
any of my Portmasters. I have had another ISP I know that has Cisco Access
Servers and Portmasters and I can Telnet into anything except Portmasters.
eg: any server [Linux] any Cisco router/access server.
I can ping the portmasters. I can't nmap any Portmasters but it works OK on
everything else, anywhere on any network.

Any Ideas,, is there a problem with the new kernel??? It has me and a few
gurus I know stumped.

Doug Bean