Re: change NIC after install

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 03:39:01PM -0400, Peter Billson wrote:
> Andrew Kaplan wrote:
> >
> > How would I change my NIC from a 3COM to say a Kingstone (Tulip) card after
> > the box was running with the 3com card.
>
> Re-compile your kernel with support for the new NIC card and reboot.
>
>   If your box is multi-homed be sure that the new card is the same
> device -  i.e. if the card your removing is eth0 be sure the new card is
> also detected as eth0 - or your IPs will be wrong. Cards are detected in
> order, so it is possible the new card will be detected after your older
> card(s) and shuffle the card order. If the cards do get shuffled, you
> will need to edit your /etc/network/interfaces file appropriately.

On the other hand, if your new network card is supported by a module
you already have available, insert that module (if you've installed
one of the stock debian kernels the modules are probably available to
you).  No time consuming recompile needed.

In your case, try "modprobe tulip".

If that works, edit /etc/modules and insert a line

  tulip

You may see a line referencing your old NIC (3c59x possibly); you can
comment that out or delete it.

Cards are detected in the order which you insert modules; if more that
one card is supported by a given module that cards are assigned by MAC
address (lower MAC yields lower interface number).

Hope that helps,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.