Re: Clustering mail servers - Cyrus or Courier ?

On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 04:10:13PM +0200, Przemyslaw Wegrzyn wrote:

> I'm looking for good solution for big, scalabale mailserver installation,
> for 500,000 accounts and more...
>
> As for now I think:
>  - sharng NFS-mounted mail storage is not so good idea.
>  - scaling can be done by partitioning mail storage between servers (with
> a little less avialabilty risk).
>
> However, AFAIK it can be done only with Cyrus with its IMAP Aggregator, or
> with qmail-ldap + Courier-IMAP...
>
> I started doing such installation with Courier-IMAP + qmail-ldap, and it's
> nice, expect one thing - quota support. I need _reliable_ quota system..
>
> Tis forced me to look at Cyrus, with its good quoa support, however, I
> have no experience with Cyrus.

If you are willing to spend the money I can recommend you use CommuniGate
Pro (Stalker Software, www.stalker.com). It is a fast and very scalable
mail server (It does SMTP, POP3, IMAP, etc.).

We run a free webmail sevice and our original application was homegrown.
We ran into some scalability issues (becuase the software was never meant
to cope with 100000+ users). CommuniGate Pro is the answer for us.

Ciao

Charl

    My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

      [ Charl Matthee ]                             [ +27-11-721-3800 ]
      [ Reality Manufacturing ]                     [ +27-11-405-6508 ]