From: Sami Haahtinen [mailto:ressu@uusikaupunki.fi]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 3:10 PM
To: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: LDAP + quotas

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:52:55PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > something like NSS for quota lookups would be nice, and to have a
> > caching daemon (like nscd) to store the data for later lookups.
>
> nscd is only ever called by user-land code such as login, su, ls, etc.
Quota
> is handled by the kernel.  Having the kernel call back to an application
for
> this isn't what you want.  What happens if/when that application needs to
> create a file?

what i ment was something alike, a daemon that would monitor the
activity in quota related system calls and update the quota file by
itself..

i was not completely serious about the solution but it would be a nice
idea, i know that quotas can not rely on any daemon as such, but a
helper daemon would 'help' in many cases.

Sami

--
			  -< Sami Haahtinen >-
      -[ Is it still a bug, if we have learned to live with it? ]-