Re: which radius server?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:04, Charl Matthee wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 08:26:08PM -0600, Vector wrote:
> >     Just wondering if there are any good open source and free radius
> > servers out there to use that work well on debian and what others are
> > using to do radius with their ISP's.  Thanks,
>
> I can recommend Radiator by Open Systems Consultants
> [http://www.open.com.au/radiator/]. It is not a free piece of software but
> is well worth spending the $1,000 (AUD).
>
> It is very configurable and extensible
> [http://www.open.com.au/radiator/technical.html] (it is written in perl
> and can be extended using perl modules). You obviously also get the source
> when you buy it.

Last time I benchmarked Radiator I found it to have serious performance
issues due to being single-threaded and being written in Perl.  On a moderate
machine (Celery 400) it could only do about 40 RADIUS requests per second to
an LDAP backend.  In contrast the Cistron or Livingstone servers could easily
double that on half the hardware without the RADIUS server being a bottleneck.

Radiator might deliver OK performance for smaller sites, but if you have
10,000 phone lines it won't do the job properly.  Also if you want to do
non-standard things with RADIUS (IE using RADIUS for authentication of POP,
login, etc), or if you want to use RADIUS for cable-TV authentication then it
won't do.

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 06:05, Craig Sanders wrote:
> cistron-radiusd is pretty good.
>
> it's certainly better than any of the other debian radiusd packages.

For some reason the FreeRADIUS package hasn't gone into unstable yet.
FreeRADIUS is where it's at.  It supports SQL, LDAP, and other sources of
back-end data.  It's all written in C and it's fully multi-threaded (with
thread pooling).  It's written by the same people who did Cistron-RADIUS
(amoung others).

FreeRADIUS might be considered experimental now, but it's the one everyone
will be using in future.