Re: IP Accounting and 2.4

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:41, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:52:50PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> > How do customers connect to you?  If they are using any decent
> > terminal server device then it should send accounting packets to the
> > RADIUS server that list the number of bytes and packets sent and
> > received.
>
> We have some dialup users, but not all of our clients authenticate
> against the RADIUS server.  I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss
> too much about it at this point, partially out of embarrasment,
> partially out of NDA.

Sounds like you wrote your own mgetty type program to do it.  I did the
same in 1997 and am still in the process of migrating the clients who use
it to Portslave...

> Up to this point, I've very little experience with radius servers, but
> I'm interested in finding out about these accounting packets.  Would
> it be worth our while to develop a Linux kernel/userspace equivalent?

Why develop a new RADIUS server when the Cistron one is quite good and
the FreeRADIUS project will be even better when they fix the last few
bugs.

Also a kernel-space RADIUS server makes no sense.  On a network with
500,000 users you still only get about 400 RADIUS packets per second
which is not enough to need a kernel version.