Re: users bypassing shaper limitation

> I have been reading this thread and noticed no one has suggested the MAC
> address filtering capabilities in Linux 2.4's new ip tables subsystem.  I
> hear there are serious problems with using 2.4.x series kernels as a
> firewall, though; what are they?

  I believe the 2.4.x iptable issues were resolved in 2.4.4. The problem
was that allowing FTP connections through the firewall enabled a
resourceful person to also create unauthorized non-FTP TCP connections
which, obviously, defeats the purpose of a firewall.

  I haven't had a chance to play with iptables yet but your suggestion
for using the MAC address sounds reasonable.

Pete