Re: MTA - MLM - DNS configuration question

>     RC> It is definately possible.  It makes sense to me, this is what
>     RC> MX records were designed for!
>
> I agree but, this is also what name server delegation is designed for!

 And this is THE way to go in your case.

 Let's say you put the mailing list software on the web server. The CPU usage is
low but the I/O gets high because of the traffic on your list(s). You want to
move the mailing list server (let's call it lists.isp.com) to another machine.
The easiest way to do that is to insert a new MX record for lists.isp.com with a
high number, lower your ttl's on your DNS, wait for propagation and turn off
your MTA on your web server. This way, all mail will seemlessly go to the new
machine once your web server refuses SMTP connections.

 This would be a lot easier to do if your IS dept delegates you the domain
lists.isp.com. Many changes will have to be made to the zone in a relative short
period of time for you to move the lists transparently.

>     RC> Of course you'll have to convince the IS department to change
>     RC> their DNS server...
>
> True for my suggestion also though their overhead would be less if they
> just delegated to you (so you don't bug them as you bring servers
> on-line).

 My point exactly.

 If you need more details as far as setting up the zone and the MX records for a
possible transition, feel free to ask.

	Haim.
--
@o=qw(Nu Wjoepxt2l Mjdsptpgu);@p=("jt gvdlfe vq","jt tiju","tvdlt");