Re: Finding the Bottleneck

By the way,

In addition to checking the disk usage, memory, and the other
suggestions that have come up on the list, have you looked at DNS? Quite
often you'll find that DNS lookups are severely limiting the performance
of something like a mailing list. Make sure that the mail server itself
isn't running a DNS server. Make sure you've got one or two DNS servers
in close proximity to the mail server. Make sure that the DNS server
process isn't swapping on the DNS servers (for the kind of traffic
you're pushing through, you may need a pentium class machine with 128 MB
of RAM as your DNS server. Also, if possible, I like to have the DNS
server I'm querying kept free from being the authoratative server for
any domains (not always practical in a real life situation, I know).

Also, there are probably some optimizations you can do for queue sort
order. I'm most familiar with Sendmail, not qmail, so I don't know the
exact settings, but try to process the queue according to recipient
domain. That way, you gain some advantages with holding SMTP connections
open to a server, rather than closing and reopening a session, etc.

--Rich