From: Przemyslaw Wegrzyn [mailto:czajnik@tower.t16.ds.pwr.wroc.pl]
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 6:50 PM
To: Peter Billson
Cc: debian-isp@lists.debian.org; recipient list not shown:
Subject: Re: kernel 2.2.19 limitations.

On Sun, 27 May 2001, Peter Billson wrote:

> Whoops... helps if I post *to* the list too!
>
> > Yes the limit is still the usual 2Gb. The limit is actually with ext2, i
> > believe, although I'm not sure.
>
>   The limit is in the kernel, not the ext2 file system, otherwise 2.4.x
> wouldn't be able to support >2Gb file either. There are patches about
> for adding LFS (large file system) support. I had compiled a 2.2.18
> kernel after patching with the LFS patch borrowed from RedHat's 6.2ee
> (Enterprise Edition) source.
>
>   But why not just run 2.4.x?

Hmm, I'm building some so called "very important server".
I'm not sure if 2.4.x is stable enough.
It will run Apache, biiig PostgreSQL database, all on big RAID.

Anyone has experience with 2.4.x + SMP (2 x PIII) + Mylex AcceleRAID ?

After reading some newsgroups I believe 2.4.x kernels works pretty stable
or does totaly weird things, all depends of the hardware configuration.
Well, it seems some drivers are not yet stable enough...

-=Czaj-nick=-