Re: kernel 2.2.19 limitations.

>  people report near 100% compatibility

  Well let me be the first to report near 100% computability. I'm
currently running 2.4.3 on my production boxes running DNS, SMTP,
Apache, MySQL, IMAP, etc., etc. and lots of other potato packages
without trouble. You only need to grab a handful of packages out of
Woody to run 2.4.x (details are under Documentation in Changes of the
kernel source) which is easy using apt-get.
  Give 2.4.x a try. It runs *much* faster then 2.2.18. Just don't use it
as a firewall yet!
  My questions about running 2.4.x was intended to be more specific to
the original poster and why *he* wasn't thinking about running 2.4.x for
this *specific* application.

> Btw, does the RH patch work reliably? Any compatibility issues? Does
> everything run as normal?

  The patched kernel worked fine on a couple boxes running very large
Oracle databases. Problem is the RedHat patch was for 2.2.16 so it was a
bit of work getting it right. You may try searching the net for a more
recent patch... someone's got to have a 2.2.18 or 19 LFS patch
somewhere! :-)
  I believe the only thing the patch does is provide a larger memory
space in the kernel for the file descriptor so that the kernel can "see"
the large file size, so it should not affect the usability of the
kernel.

Pete