Streaming MP3

Happy Monday All!
   I am having trouble setting up a live MP3 stream on my Debian server.
I am using icecast as the streaming server and LiveIce as the encoder.
Everything works fine... that is I can create a mp3 stream and remote
users can connect to it, but I can not seem to capture audio from the
sound card.
  LiveIce uses lame to encode a stream from /dev/dsp. I tried running
lame manually (/dev/dsp | lame -r - test.mp3) to create a mp3 and it
also has no audio. If I cat a real file (cat foo.mp3 | lame --mp3input -
test.mp3) lame works fine.
  If I cat /dev/dsp I just get a stream of ~~~~~~ (and cat /dev/audio
gives me \ \ \ \ \ ) so it would seem that there is actually no sound
coming from the card. The card is a real SoundBlaster 16 ISA PnP card.
  Can any one offer any suggestions?

Pete
--
http://www.elbnet.com