Re: Archiving all mail for a domain

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Sanjeev Gupta wrote:

 > I am trying to archive all mail that exim 3.12 sees for a domain, either
 > incoming or outgoing.  I have done simpler things with system-wide filters

you can do it for incoming mail with a shadow_transport option to the
local_delivery transport. you can't use this for outgoing messages as
a shadow_transport is only appropriate in a local transport context
(read the spec on this). done the incoming one, and open for
suggestions to achieve this with outgoing mails ;)

 > What I would request is your preferences in the actual archiving software.
 > What the customer wants is to ask me "Can you search ex-employee's mail
 > for anything from customer 1"?  What I want is to use something like a
 > mailing-list archive, to store all mail, and let the Customer search with

i'd use a simple <name your favourite scripting language> to archive
the mails, and use mailgrep (grepmail, whatever it's name is).
construct a web interface to that, if you need web. dunno, i'm not
really satisfied with list-archivers wrt their searching capabilities,
but this might root in the fact i'm not very familiar with these
tools.

 > Secondly, what would you suggest I do the handoff to the software as?  A
 > pipe from the exim filter?  Create a file, and once a day, feed it in?

shadow transport seems (and works, so far, using it for half a year or
so) fine for me. just make very your scripts puts every message onto a
different file (i've adapted a maildir-like approach with final file
names containing the file's inode number.  unbeatable for local disks,
won't work (properly? no experience) on nfs volumes, and once again
the concept is trashed if you move your archives back and forth
between different partitions (the actual implementation may survive,
though :)

--
[-]
"cvs szerver a weben = olyan cvs szerver amit az interneten keresztul